Friday, July 9, 2010

Grateful...

Ok, so I know this is a little late... almost a week late actually... But, I have been waiting for the pictures that go along with this post. We had an incredible 4th of July weekend... lots pictures to come. :)

I am so grateful to live in this great country. I feel especially grateful because my being born here was no ‘accident’. For those of you who don't know, my parents were both immigrants. My dad came from Ireland, and my mom came from Canada. So, of all the places I could have been born and raised, it was here in the U.S. No coincidence, I’m sure.

Because of their sacrifice I get to enjoy all of the wonderful freedoms that the founders of this country fought for. I could sit and name all of the freedoms I am grateful for: the right to say what we want, the right to have a gun if we want, the health care that we enjoy, the fact that my husband could get TWO MRI’s, visit the ER, and see a neurologist all in one day!!, etc, etc.

There are SO many, but one of the greatest is the freedom of religion, the opportunity to be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. When I was younger and people would talk about their pioneer heritage and how their ancestors crossed the plains, I always wished I had a cool story to tell. Well, my ancestors may not have crossed the plains, but my heritage includes an amazing story as well. My grandparents, on both sides, were converts to the church. They raised their children in the church on opposite sides of the world and my parents were the pioneers. They may have taken an airplane instead of pushing a hand cart, but those modern day pioneers are the reason I am a full-blooded American. Proud of it too. ;)

0 comments: