Tuesday, September 24, 2013

IVF #3: Baseline Ultrasound and Stims


I wrote all of these posts on the dates listed before each entry, but we weren't ready to post them until now.  If you know the outcome of our IVF, please don't give it away in the comments until after the "IVF #7: Results are In!" post has been posted.

In case you missed them, here are links to the previous posts, "IVF #1: The Beginning", "IVF #2: Starting Meds".

Wednesday, July 10, 2013
Today I woke up early in Indiana and caught a plane to Utah to see my sweetheart and get this thing moving!  When I arrived in Utah my mom picked me up at the airport.  We dropped my bags off at Matt's parents house and went straight to the doctor's office.  My appointment was actually at the Murray office and I didn't see Dr. Foulk, like I usually do, I saw Dr. Gurtcheff.  I loved her from the minute she walked in!  We did my baseline ultrasound.  The baseline ultrasound is where they make sure everything it "quiet" before they use all the stimulation meds to make everything "freak out"! :)  (These are complex medical terms I'm using here.)  She took a look around and said I have a "perfect uterus and perfect ovaries." :)  I said, "Well then we just need to get a baby in there!!"  She put her hand on my knee and with a sparkle in her eye said, "And we're really good at that."  See, the Utah Fertility Center really is the best place on earth.  It's not just a business for these people.  They truly care and I love how positive they are.

After the ultrasound I had to have a blood draw.  You would think I'd be used to them by now.  Nope.  If you know how much I hate needles and how many times I've been poked for blood draws, IVs, and shots for infertility already, you would know how much I want to be a mom.

After the blood draw the nurse trained me on the rest of the shots I will be starting tomorrow morning.  More needles.  ANYTHING for those sweet babies waiting to come to our family.

Thursday, July 11, 2013
Today I started two more shots in the morning (what they call the "stimulation meds").  My entire shot routine usually takes me about 30 minutes.  I collect all the supplies, mix them up, and inject them.  The Men.o.pur stings like the dickens.  I usually just say, "baby baby baby baby" the whole time it's going in so I can remind myself what this is all for.  Also, the extra needles the pharmacy sent for the Lup.ron (the drug I started weeks ago) are dull.  Have you ever tried to give yourself a shot with a dull needle?  Let's just say I have to wiggle it in and sometimes I have to try more than once.  It leaves some nasty bruises.

Sunday, July 14, 2013
Well, I've been on the stimulation meds for 4 days and I'm already having a hard time fitting into my pants.  I'm feeling SOOOO bloated.  I can't complain though.  Besides that and being tired I haven't had any other symptoms.  You can ask Matt if I've been moody, but if he knows what's good for him, he'll tell you I've been an angel as always. ;)

Tuesday, July 16, 2013
Today I went in for my first blood draw to see how my body is reacting to all these drugs.  It was my first time being to the new Utah Fertility Center office in Pleasant Grove--it's incredible!  They called me earlier tonight to lower the dose.  I kind of expected this because my body tends to overreact to these kinds of things (i.e. hyper stimulating on the lowest dose of Clo.mid in July of 2009).

6 comments:

Katie said...

Seriously? You had to wiggle it in? Sick! Labor will be a piece of cake after all this.

Katie said...

Seriously? You had to wiggle it in? Sick! Labor will be a piece of cake after all this.

Kristin said...

i am losing it. DULL NEEDLES? boo!

Rach said...

You are certainly an angel. And an angel mother too.

Unknown said...

Cannot wait for post 7 have everything crossed!! X

Stephie Lynne Purcell said...

You are awesome for documenting all these details, even the ones that are shudder-inducing :) I keep thinking about the comfort and courage other women who are going through IVF will get from reading this. I am blown away by the things you have faced down to help get your sweet babies here. Love and admire you so much!!!